POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just a passing thought on religion : Re: Just a passing thought on religion Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:19:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just a passing thought on religion
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 19 Jan 2009 21:46:12
Message: <49753af4$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] npgcablecom> wrote:
>> Darren New wrote:
>>> At least one highly religious person I had an opportunity to interact
>>> with for hours at a time face to face has convinced me that self
>>> contradictions aren't a problem in religion.  As long as you're being
>>> irrational, why stick with modus ponens?
>>>
>> Yes, well.. Its when they then insist that you don't know what "you" are
>> talking about because its so damn obvious that god is "both" a plate of
>> spaghetti and a magic hat, at the same time, that things really go down
>> hill for everyone not "in the know". lol
>
> LOLz.  Look at the atheists making fun of their fav subject and here I am still
> feeding them!  Really, what would you do with your boring vulcan/madonna dual
> lifes if there was no one you could mock of?  probably commit suicide to see if
> they were right...

Favorite? Yeah, if by "favorite" you mean "only". Its kind of like
arguing that "insert religion of your choice"'s favorite subject is
"everyone that believes something else" too.

In response, from PX Myers to yet "another" case of "Oh no, atheists
have bus signs now!", and more specifically the ever popular, "There
probably isn't any god, so stop being an ass." Umm, well, the last bit
isn't *quite* phrased that way, but...:

""There's probably no God" is an accurate summary of the atheist
position. There's no virtue to be found in iron-clad certainty, and it
is no sign of weakness that a statement might allow for acceptance of
evidence in contradiction. People like Warner, however, think that
certainty is a necessity.

Let's leave certainty to the oleaginous evangelists, the jingoistic war
mongers, and the other con artists selling us bogus solutions to
imaginary problems. A little uncertainty, a little willingness to accept
that deeper knowledge might change our minds, is a good thing.

that I am not reliant on the whims of some all-powerful cosmic tyrant.
I've read the Bible, and his god is not a very nice anthropomorphic
hallucination: murder, war, rape, threats of eternal torment, and
micro-management of trivial aspects of human behavior seem to be his
modi operandi. I am relieved that I am not under its thumb, although it
is still worrisome that so many imagine that they are, and act as if
this evil puppetmaster were pulling their strings.

The message of atheism is personal responsibility. You cannot blame your
wickedness on a rebellious ancestor with an appetite for apples. You
cannot say the devil made you do it. Your actions are not dictated by
invisible deities whispering in your ear. Your actions have
consequences, and they are *your* actions." <- emphasis mine

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();