POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. : Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:18:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
From: Warp
Date: 19 Jan 2009 19:11:49
Message: <497516c5@news.povray.org>
triple_r <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I saw a simulation of this a while back.  Your field of view increases as you
> pass through the horizon, until 360+ degrees shrink to a circle directly above
> you.  As you go further and further into the black hole, the whole universe
> above you shrinks to a point.

  I believe you are talking about this:
http://www.spacetimetravel.org/expeditionsl/expeditionsl.html

  However, if you read the explanation carefully, none of the images
simulates what happens *inside* the event horizon. All of them are from
the outside, closer and closer to the event horizon. The last image is
"taken" from a distance of 1.005rs, where 'rs' is the Schwarzschild radius,
ie. the radius at which the event horizon is located.

  (OTOH, I still think those images don't take red/blue-shifting into
account, so they might not be completely accurate in their coloration,
even if they are in their geometry.)

> >   Some people seem to think that there could be objects "floating" around
> > inside the event horizon, and that someone could be there and see nothing
> > unusual. However, if all geodesics are pointing directly towards the
> > center.

> They don't really have to point directly toward the center, do they?.

  I'm a complete layman on the subject and the GR equations go *well* over
my head. The Schwarzschild solution to those equations goes even more
beyond my comprehension, so everything I know about the subject is from
reading things put into layman terms.

  I have understood that all geodesics point directly towards the center
(at least in the Schwarzschild solution, ie. a non-rotating non-charged
black hole), but I may well have understood wrongly.

  I'm sure, though, that the equations predict that it's physically
impossible to avoid advancing towards the singularity. Even trying to
stay still, without moving, is impossible. (I suppose the only possibility
to avoid this would be some weird quantum mechanical effect.)

--
                                                          - Warp