POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. : Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:20:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
From: Darren New
Date: 19 Jan 2009 16:10:45
Message: <4974ec55$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   OTOH GR has resisted the test of time rather well.

BTW, the article I read recently that talked about this was discussing a
gravity-wave detector where the amount of random noise they were getting was
pretty close to the amount of noise predicted by this whole
holographic-universe kind of thing.

It was a popular-science article, but google turns up
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9906003
that pretty much sums it up, given what we're talking about. :-)

Basically, since the "hologram" of the universe is at 37 billion lightyears,
or whatever it is, but space is much bigger than that surface area, you get
some "blurring" at the quantum level that makes the "pixels" big enough to
actually measure, closer to 10^-15 than 10^-35 or some such.  Way over my
head, but interesting.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?