POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Frustration : Re: Frustration Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:20:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Frustration
From: Darren New
Date: 19 Jan 2009 14:36:19
Message: <4974d633$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> Invisible wrote:
>>> What do rewrite rules have to do with abstract algebra?
>>
>> Algebra *is* rewrite rules.
>
> AFAIK, abstract algebra is about the study of anything that has certain
> mathematical properties, and what that gives rise to. You don't actually
> rewrite anything.

The rewrite rules specify what the properties are. List some properties for
me, and I'll show you what the rewrite rules are. :-)

"Zero is the identity for addition"
A+0 = A
0+A = A

>>> ...which *I* do, but your typical programmer has *no clue*.
>>
>> I think learning what an identity value is should be pretty easy. :)
>
> Yes - if it was documented! (In language relevant to computer
> programming...)

I dunno. I don't think I could have gotten out of third grade without
knowing the identity value for addition and multiplication.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?