POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Frustration : Re: Frustration Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:18:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Frustration
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 19 Jan 2009 14:06:57
Message: <4974cf51$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>> What do rewrite rules have to do with abstract algebra?
>
> Algebra *is* rewrite rules.

AFAIK, abstract algebra is about the study of anything that has certain
mathematical properties, and what that gives rise to. You don't actually
rewrite anything.

>> ...which *I* do, but your typical programmer has *no clue*.
>
> I think learning what an identity value is should be pretty easy. :)

Yes - if it was documented! (In language relevant to computer
programming...)

>> We need propper documentation here!
>
> So write them.

Gotta understand something before you can explain it.

>> Imagine trying to explain what a number "is" to somebody who doesn't
>> already know. Well, I mean sure, the integers are easy enough. But
>> what about negative numbers? Fractions? Irrationals? Transcendentals?
>> Imaginary numbers? Hmm... actually, this is pretty hard!
>
> I don't know. That was like third and fourth grade, here.

Yeah. But you try summing all that up in a short expression. Quite hard,
isn't it?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/