POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ooo... : Re: Ooo... Server Time
9 Oct 2024 17:48:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ooo...
From: Darren New
Date: 19 Jan 2009 12:59:06
Message: <4974bf6a$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> But now I'm watching TV on a big LCD TV, suddenly there seems to be MPEG
> artifacts all over the place! o_O

That's what put me off of buying a DTV for several years. But then you
compare it to an analog channel and the difference is so dramatic you decide
to put up with occasional artifacts. Kind of like programming on an LCD,
then plugging the computer into a regular TV.

I think some providers recompress the signal to fit more
shows/movies/whatever over the same cable, so you get different levels of
artifacts.

Plus, Blu-Ray seems to be more grainy than blocky - I think they spread the
error out with diffusion, which isn't really a problem when you're six feet
away.

Video games, for some reason, seem much more blocky.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?