POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ooo... : Re: Ooo... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:17:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ooo...
From: Invisible
Date: 19 Jan 2009 10:24:30
Message: <49749b2e$1@news.povray.org>
>>> Wow, looks like some strange modification of a VGA connector.
>>
>> Except it's about 4x the size of a VGA connector, and the pinout is
>> utterly unrelated.
>
> So, the cable ends are about the size of your average parallel
> connector? Yeesh.

Slightly bigger than that even. And if you buy a quality lead, it's
quite thick cable. (It's 32-core or something, and you need to prevent
cross-talk.)

>> That's because in the old days, a TV would have an RF input, and
>> that's it. But then people figured out that, actually, RF-modulated
>> signals look *rubbish*, so various other connections were invented.
>> SCART is the most popular, since one big connector delivers picture
>> and stereo sound (though obviously only one video channel, and no
>> telitext).
>
> Hmm, oddly the U.S. went with the "maze of wires" approach. 3 connectors
> out, 3 connectors in. (or 2 if SVideo) or 5 if YPrPb. Though CC is done
> in the blanking area, so it doesn't matter how its connected.

Yeah, some people in the UK did that too. Most TVs and almost all VCRs
will have component video or composite and seperate audio ins/outs...
SCART is simpler though.

>> I have no idea what HDMI delivers. Seems to work nicely though...
>
> HDMI is all digital. Delivers audio and video, As well as signals for
> encryption, and the ability for the device to communicate its
> capabilities, etc.

Yeah. Apparently it's encrypted DVI. (But I don't know how DVI works
either...)

I still remember how shocked I was when I found out that normal VGA
actually allows communication in the reverse direction. ;-)