POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ooo... : Re: Ooo... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:18:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ooo...
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 19 Jan 2009 10:17:23
Message: <49749983@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Mike Raiford wrote:
>> Invisible wrote:
>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scart
>>
>> Wow, looks like some strange modification of a VGA connector.
>
> Except it's about 4x the size of a VGA connector, and the pinout is
> utterly unrelated.

So, the cable ends are about the size of your average parallel
connector? Yeesh.

>> Convenient, though. So you connect your VCR with one cable, then?
>
> Indeed.
>
> In the old days, you'd connect the RF arial to the VCR, and another RF
> lead from the VCR to the TV, and tune the TV to a special channel when
> you want to see the signal from the VCR. (I hope it doesn't clash with
> one of your local channels!)
>
> That's because in the old days, a TV would have an RF input, and that's
> it. But then people figured out that, actually, RF-modulated signals
> look *rubbish*, so various other connections were invented. SCART is the
> most popular, since one big connector delivers picture and stereo sound
> (though obviously only one video channel, and no telitext).

Hmm, oddly the U.S. went with the "maze of wires" approach. 3 connectors
out, 3 connectors in. (or 2 if SVideo) or 5 if YPrPb. Though CC is done
in the blanking area, so it doesn't matter how its connected.

> I have no idea what HDMI delivers. Seems to work nicely though... Only

HDMI is all digital. Delivers audio and video, As well as signals for
encryption, and the ability for the device to communicate its
capabilities, etc.

--
~Mike