POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ooo... : Re: Ooo... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:15:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ooo...
From: Invisible
Date: 19 Jan 2009 09:51:55
Message: <4974938b@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>
>> But now I'm watching TV on a big LCD TV, suddenly there seems to be
>> MPEG artifacts all over the place! o_O
>
> My projection TV is like that. Less obvious on the HD channels, the
> cable system here generally compresses the "less glamorous" channels to
> death. It's pretty obvious. The HD channels are usually very sharp and
> crisp, only showing MPEG blocking during sections where the picture
> changes rapidly.

I noticed several adverts with stuff happening underwater had seriously
blocky bubble clouds...

I also watched Ice Age II. Several of the "blue wash" backgrounds were
noticably blocky. (By which I mean there were 8x8 blocks of solid colour
instead of a gradient.) For some reason all codecs known to man destroy
the blue channel...

I hadn't realised that this could very by channel. I assumed there was
just a standard that says "Digital TV = MPEG2 at X Mbit/sec". I'll have
to investigate. Hmm, I wonder what a DVD looks like?

By the way... Watching the snooker, I could actually see the pattern of
the felt on the table (and the depth of field of the camera)!