POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test.binaries : Radiosity POV 3.6 vs. 3.7 vs. MCPov : Got it!: Server Time
5 May 2024 10:03:31 EDT (-0400)
  Got it!:
From: Ive
Date: 19 Jan 2009 08:10:15
Message: <49747bb7@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:

> At the moment I'm suspecting the floor to pick up light from below for some
> reason. What is the floor made of, geometrically speaking?

  Just a box ;)

#declare W = 500.0;
#declare L = 664.6;
#declare H = 323.6;

//==============================================================
// room
//==============================================================

union {
// floor
   box { <0,0, 1> <W,-1,-L-1>  texture {T_Floor} }

  ... and a lot of more stuff

But here is the interesting thing:

#declare T_Floor = texture {
   material_map { png "Floor#2"
     texture {T_FloorMortar}
     texture {T_FloorWhite}
     texture {T_FloorBlack}
     texture {T_FloorBlack translate  79}
     texture {T_FloorBlack translate 255}
   }
   rotate x*90
   rotate y*45
   scale 117.2/2
   translate <-20.0, 0, 0>
}

where each of the separate textures is a quite complicated layered
texture. Suspicion was that either the heavy layered textures or the
material_map statement did mess up things.
So a quick simplification:

#declare T_FloorWhite_simple = texture
{
   pigment {rgb 0.55}
   finish {ambient 0  diffuse 1}
}

#declare T_FloorBlack_simple = texture
{
   pigment {rgb 0.05}
   finish {ambient 0  diffuse 1}
}

#declare T_Floor = texture {
   checker
   texture {T_FloorWhite_simple}, texture {T_FloorWhite_simple}
   rotate x*90
   rotate y*45
   scale 117.2/2
   translate <-20.0, 0, 0>
}

and the result is still weird! See picture 1.

But then:

#declare T_Floor = texture {
   texture {T_FloorWhite_simple}
   rotate x*90
   rotate y*45
   scale 117.2/2
   translate <-20.0, 0, 0>
}

works perfectly as expected (low quality aside). Picture 2.

This effect can be easily reproduced in any other scene.

So it seems to me that the problem is maybe not even related to
radiosity but it is to patterned textures. Maybe it has something to do
with he post by me to p.beta-test from 4/25/2008 "texture_map vs.
pigment_map" - that never got a response ;(

-Ive

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'musiclesson-simple1.jpg' (50 KB) Download 'musiclesson-simple2.jpg' (77 KB)

Preview of image 'musiclesson-simple1.jpg'
musiclesson-simple1.jpg

Preview of image 'musiclesson-simple2.jpg'
musiclesson-simple2.jpg