POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Noobulation! : Re: FATALITY! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:22:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FATALITY!
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 19 Jan 2009 00:58:00
Message: <49741668$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 01:05:49 +0000, St. wrote:

> "Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message

>>>       No, you *assume* that they are best mates. Yes, some might be,
>>>       but to
>>> be honest, most there will have 'best mates' outside of work.
>>
>> Agreed.  The thing I've found interesting as I've moved from job to job
>> is the speed with which one disconnects from coworkers' lives.
>
>     You're not kidding. I know so many people that I could have easily
>     been
> long-time friends with long after I left my places of employment.

That's one of the things I find interesting about business social
networking sites like LinkedIn.  Just plugging in names of coworkers/
vendors/etc I've worked with over the years yielded some very interesting
results.  Interesting to see where people have moved on to.

>> There are a very few I keep in touch with from older jobs, but
>> generally, people I would go to lunch with every day and have great
>> conversations with I just don't talk to any more.
>
>  Yep, that's how it goes unfortunately. I think you and I could agree
>  that
> we just 'move on'. (Which in a weird sort of way is supposed to happen
> in life I think. I don't know, call it 'progression' if you like).

Yeah, but I also think that it's more a sort of "new group of people".
With my last change in employer, I did something I had never done before
- I actually went to lunch with my old team a couple times after I
started the new job.

It was really weird - the discussion at lunch revolved briefly around
"so, what's new with you, Jim?" and then turned back to the goings on
(projects and so on) they were working on.  I felt very much like an
outsider, and it made sense:  I was an outsider.

Jim