POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test.binaries : FYI: radiosity changes integrated : Re: FYI: radiosity changes integrated Server Time
19 May 2024 10:21:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FYI: radiosity changes integrated
From: stbenge
Date: 18 Jan 2009 23:49:15
Message: <4974064b$1@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> stbenge wrote:
>> Warp wrote:
>>>
>>>   Why is everyone comparing the radiosity of Beta 30 with the newest
>>> radiosity version?
>>
>> On a personal level, I'm pretty happy with beta<=30 radiosity.
>
> But you realize that it was broken in the sense that it just plain did
> not work anything like it should or did in 3.6? I certainly know because
> I amputated the code originally for 3.7. So really there is no
> pre-beta30rad1 radiosity!!!

Yes, I understand that 3.7.b radiosity isn't as good as 3.6, but I'm
willing to live with it until it is improved. At this point I haven't
felt the need to go back to 3.6, since only the new beta versions
support multi-threading. Really, I can get some nice radiosity renders
out of 3.7. Smooth shading, small details. The quality of enclosed areas
is still a bit dodgy, but it's not too bad.

I just hope that in the end 3.7's radiosity will still render at a good
clip :)

Sam