POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just a passing thought on religion : Re: Just a passing thought on religion Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:20:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just a passing thought on religion
From: Darren New
Date: 18 Jan 2009 23:27:13
Message: <49740121$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> Saul Luizaga wrote:
>>> This question denotes wisdom because you are willing to search and
>>> learn contrary to Patrick that only writes "you are deluding yourself
>>> you are being a moron, for your own sake STOP!!!".
>>
>> Yes. That's why I said I'm an atheist, but not like Patrick. For one
>> thing, I've accepted that irrationality is not always bad.
>>
> He is putting words in my mouth and you are letting him?

I said nothing of the sort. I simply said I'm not like you. :-)
I suppose one reading of what I said might imply I agree with him, but that
wasn't my intention.

> The cognitive dissonance involved is just more than I am willing to put up with,
especially when
> he starts claiming that I don't have friends of family that can "love
> each other like a theist can!"

Yes. That part is rather insulting.

> as though they where all brand new, no one has heard them before, etc.

Agreed.  Sometimes it seems like Saul is actually interested in
conversation, and sometimes it seems like he's interested in converting.
Usually it's pretty easy to tell which is which by counting questions vs
assertions.

> Though, I admit, the funniest ones are the

The funniest ones for me are the ones that feel they have to help their
deity in his work, like *they* can show me the way to religion better than
their own God can. Funny, and annoying. :-)

> as though belief in god is like me deciding not to get
> out of bed when I wake up, and instead deciding to stay under the covers
> for a few more minutes, despite having things I need to do that day.

It's that whole "free will" bit that explains evil in the world.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?