POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : thread count rendertimes unpredictable? : thread count rendertimes unpredictable? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:38:34 EDT (-0400)
  thread count rendertimes unpredictable?
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 18 Jan 2009 19:27:35
Message: <4973c8f7$1@news.povray.org>
I was comparing beta 30 and the radiosity-changed exe for any differences
when using thread count 1 or 2 and found it varies depending on scene file
complexity or animations. I was wondering if thread count was being checked
by others.

Getting a 160% slower render sometimes when using Work_Threads=2 versus 1,
and other times 60% (much faster). In the past I had been making sure to
keep the threads at only 1 so renders wouldn't slow down on larger sized
images or animations. I think there might have been a change but couldn't be
sure about that.

Right now it seems to be unpredictable instead of guaranteeing a speed-up by
going with more than 1 thread. Thought maybe this hasn't been discussed
recently so wanted to bring it up again.

POV for Windows (SSE2's and non-SSE2's), Vista and AMD X2 dual core

Bob