POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just a passing thought on religion : Re: Just a passing thought on religion Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:21:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just a passing thought on religion
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 18 Jan 2009 15:43:09
Message: <4973945d$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> Ah, 'teach' may be the important word here. Most people I have met are
> not from churches that teach missionary actions. Apart from the Jehovah
> witnesses that come to the door (must be 9 years since I saw the last
> one). Catholics here tend to not take serious anybody from the ranks of
> bishop up. I have yet to meet a Muslim that has taken it's faith serious
> enough to even know how to explain his faith to an infidel. In short,
> all religious persons I know personally that are serious about their
> faith and every church they are in are not of the missionary type.
> Remember, I live in the Netherlands.

And that, my friend, is likely precisely why it harder to take people at
face value for me than it is for you. The ones like you talk about, even
if they may be a slim majority in the US, and I am not that certain of
that, are most definitely "not" the sort you ***see*** doing most
charity work, or seeking to help people, etc. There is a bias, even
among many liberal church goers in the US, that when someone opens a
soup kitchen, one of the first questions isn't, "How many people did it
feed?", but, "Do they preach to them before they let them eat it?" At
best, the ones like those you are used to, try real hard to avoid
thinking about that question, but if asked, can't honestly reply that it
didn't occur to them. Remember I live in the good old US of A-hole here.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {