POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just a passing thought on religion : Re: Just a passing thought on religion Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:19:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just a passing thought on religion
From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 18 Jan 2009 13:13:15
Message: <4973713b@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Saul Luizaga wrote:
>> I think an Atheist maybe would be too rational for a situation like
>> this, and try to find a reasonable solution being cold thinking and
>> maybe endangering the child, when actually the best solution is go
>> more with your feelings on that small time interval. I'm not saying
>> Atheist can't love.
>
> Here, it certainly sounds like what you're saying is "I love my child
> more than you love yours, because I'm willing to pray to my God for my
> child's welfare and you're not."  Have I got that straight?

Sorry, nope.

> If not, what am I missing?

This question denotes wisdom because you are willing to search and learn
contrary to Patrick that only writes "you are deluding yourself you are
being a moron, for your own sake STOP!!!".

On the subject, I think that quality of love depends on each person,
I've known of religious persons that made great religious leaderships
while their family suffered horribly, is not religion, is you and you
alone. If you correct your child on the measure of his/her mistakes, are
kind but not spoiling and other good principles like that I think that
is love, we know what love is, all humans do also we have a sense of
right and wrong, so I think people that will go to hell is the ones that
deliberately go wrong and against love or twist love in a sick way(9/11
kinda of stuff).

> Do you think atheists are cold-hearted?

A little, just a little but I don't say ALL, maybe, just maybe most of
them, because I don't actually know the entire Earth population, so is
mostly kinda of a little pretentious assumption of me.

> That they don't have feelings?

man, hehe, I don't know why you keep saying thighs like that of me.

> That it's irrational to attempt to move the car without divine
> intervention?

is irrational anyway that is why faith helps and was more like lifting
the car in flames kinda thing, and every adult person knows the
consequences of such an act, but also I'm not saying an Atheist wouldn't
do it, I'm saying he/she MIGHT be too rational about it. I'm also saying
religious/spiritual persons will try to find a logical solution that
actually will work but in this case, as people write/tell about it was
in a situation like: alone in a road or in a place where she couldn't
ask/get help or find a good solution that would actually worked. I don't
say I'd do the same, may I'd be too rational about too, I don't know
what I'd do in such a horrible situation, all I can think of is saving
the child the best way possible, I think you think that too and every
human for that matter.

> Would you consider yourself cold-thinking and rational if you got in
> this situation, prayed to God, still weren't able to move the car, and
> you didn't try to invoke the Force from Star Wars? Why not? You've
> *seen* Yoda lift an entire X-wing fighter.  (I'm completely serious with
> this question. Why wouldn't you try praying to Zeus, Satan, and then
> using the Force?)

Not just pray to God, God helps the one that helps him/herself, He does
the part you can't do to get to your goal and it depends on the belief
of your faith, George Lucas actually beliefs in The Force, I believe The
Force is God intervention, the Bible states if you have enough faith you
could do wonderful thing, but without love you'd be nothing, so is not
only faith is also the "big L" necessary for good deeds.

Once a long time ago, maybe 15-20 years ago I heard of a Holy man in a
Country with lots of desert that he could take an ordinary cup, fill it
with sand from the desert, invert the cup, let the sand fall and the
sand would stop falling until he turned the cup straight up again,
people said he was a man of lots of faith.

I understand why Atheists probably will never see the way
religious/theists see things, faith in God is completely irrational
because God doesn't manifest in rational ways, all I can say is what
Jesus said, "be happy those who belief without seen".

Don't expect I say you: "OK, you say you are trying to understand me so
you want a rational proof of God, here it is, now belief". The way to
God is that, A WAY, A PATH to follow and on some point, He will come to
you. The Bible states that if you CHALLENGE God to come to you He will,
he has give you free will and wont disrupt the deal unless you want it so.

One more curious "fact": some people affirms seen San Martin praying in
the middle of the air,on his knees, because he was on sucha God's grace,
so is not a proven fact but if you dare to take this as a fact for a 2
minutes you see there is no reason why he has to be "flying" to be in
God's grace but that's the way God works. People claims he was alone in
his cell on pray time of the day. But fairy tail at the end, right?
fine, so be it.