POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Need help with 3.7 Beta : Re: Need help with 3.7 Beta Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:29:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need help with 3.7 Beta
From: Dan Connelly
Date: 18 Jan 2009 05:59:16
Message: <49730b84$1@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> It has been said multiple times in these groups that the release notes
> are what you should be looking at for 3.7 *beta*. The download page also
> tells you to read the release notes. Please do!
>
>     Thorsten

Whoops!  I was redirected to the 3.6.1 docs from:
http://www.povray.org/beta/documentation

I should have caught that...

 From the beta 10 change list:

   o If the scene language version is set to 3.7 (or not set at all), then
       gamma correction will default to ON, with the value used being set by
       the 'display_gamma' INI file setting. Note that in previous versions of
       POV-Ray gamma correction was OFF by default but otherwise this is the
       same.

     o If the scene language version is set to earlier than 3.7, then gamma
       will be OFF by default.

     o Notwithstanding the above, if the keyword 'assumed_gamma' is present
       in the scene's global_settings, then POV will take one of the following
       actions:

         a) if "assumed_gamma 2.2" is present, gamma correction will be turned
            OFF and a warning issued. the same thing will happen if the value
            specified is not 2.2 but happens to be the default for the platform
            setting given to POV-Ray when it was compiled (e.g. Windows is 2.2).

         b) if "assumed_gamma 1.0" is present, gamma correction will be turned
            ON (if it's not already on) and in any case a warning will be issued.

         c) if a value other than the above is specified, it is ignored and a
            'possible error' message is issued.

       You will note from the above that therefore it is no longer possible to
       adjust the amount of gamma correction from a scene file. This is as
       designed since scene files should be as much as possible be platform
       independent, and the gamma of particular display hardware does not belong
       in the scene file. If you really need to specify 'assumed_gamma' you can
       do so in an INI file or on the command-line; however in those cases you
       may as well just use 'display_gamma' in its place.

       When writing file formats that support gamma specification, the inverse
       of the assumed_gamma value will be embedded in the file headers, so that
       an appropriately equipped display program can 'undo' the gamma correction
       if it is so desired. This is as per previous versions of POV-Ray.