POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Need help with 3.7 Beta : Re: Need help with 3.7 Beta Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:35:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need help with 3.7 Beta
From: Dan Connelly
Date: 18 Jan 2009 05:35:42
Message: <497305fe$1@news.povray.org>
Rob Richards wrote:
> Doh!
>
> I should have checked the release notes! latest beta has gamma
> correction on by default. That was the reason
>
> Cheers
> Rob

the docs need to be updated to reflect this, I think:
http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/260/

Yet clearly in my scenes the Display_Gamma has an effect.

Display_Gamma=2.2 : scene renders bright
Display_Gamma=1.0 : scene renders darker (like 3.6 without assumed_gamma)
Display_Gamma=0.45: scene renders quite dark

"For scene files that do not contain an assumed_gamma global setting the INI file
option Display_Gamma will not have any affect on the preview output of POV-Ray or for
most output file formats. However, the Display_Gamma value is used when creating PNG
format output files, and also when rendering the POV-Ray example files (because they
have an assumed_gamma), so it should still be correctly set for your system to ensure
proper results. "