POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test.binaries : FYI: radiosity changes integrated : Re: FYI: radiosity changes integrated Server Time
7 May 2024 10:29:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FYI: radiosity changes integrated
From: stbenge
Date: 17 Jan 2009 16:39:10
Message: <49724ffe@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> TomAust <aus### [at] aust-manufakturde> wrote:
>> this image shows a detail of a building rendered in Beta29/30 and Beta30rad1.
>
>   Why is everyone comparing the radiosity of Beta 30 with the newest
> radiosity version?

On a personal level, I'm pretty happy with beta<=30 radiosity. I can see
where it can be improved somewhat, of course. I would be very unhappy if
the render times got higher and higher with each new release. I would be
worried that it might stay slow :S

>   Unless I'm completely mistaken, the radiosity code in 3.7 beta
> versions <= 30 was, by all intents and purposes, non-functional and
> certainly not intended to be used for anything. The code was just
> provisionally there to give *something* (rather than eg. just crashing
> the program) but not as the intended functionality.

I don't think it's as dysfunctional as you say it is. There is an issue
with render-block-sized squares showing up sometimes, but changing
pretrace_end to a lower value makes those artifacts vanish. Black
patches show up also, but lowering adc_bailout fixes that problem (as
long as it's not caused by reflecting or refracting objects).

>   What people should compare against is the radiosity in 3.6.

The quality, the speed, or both? If I can still squeeze artifact-free
radiosity out of pov.b.3.7, I'll be happy. As long as it doesn't take
too long, of course.

I think if the POV-team is going to pursue a higher-quality radiosity
implementation at the great expense of speed, there should be an option
to use the old "broken" 3.7 radiosity if desired. But clipka seems to be
concerned about the speed as well, so I probably have nothing to worry
about :)

Sam