POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just a passing thought on religion : Re: Just a passing thought on religion Server Time
10 Oct 2024 04:38:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just a passing thought on religion
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 16 Jan 2009 21:54:53
Message: <4971487d$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Saul Luizaga wrote:
>> nor denied, and as I write before, this probably will never be proved
>> or discarded.
>
> I think it has already been proved.
>
>> I just google this for you, I hadn't even read them, forgot to say that.
>
> None of them said what you think they said.
>
>> That said, I believe that even can do supernatural achievements on
>> extreme situations,
>
> I don't think you know what the word "supernatural" means, either. :-)
>
>> Think about one of those extreme situations I described... you
>> wouldn't hold to any peace of belief/faith you can grasp?
>
> Uh, no. I'd look for a solution that's actually likely to work.
>
> If you got in a situation, would you call out to Thor to grant you the
> Strength of his Mighty Hammer?  Would you cry out for Captain Kirk to
> beam up the car that has your loved one pinned?  When you understand why
> you wouldn't do either of those, you'll understand why even in an
> emergency I wouldn't call out to JHVH for help, or whichever one it is
> you're currently worshiping.
>
>> I imagine the mother saying to God: "OK God, you better give me a hand
>> here because I'm going to rescue mu child or die trying...".
>
> I'm not sure why you think an atheist wouldn't just start after the
> "because" in that sentence.
>
>> no room for rationality, just pure love for my child., but that's me...
>
> Your tone makes it sound like "an atheist wouldn't even try" or
> something. I think an atheist would also most likely try to lift the
> car, unless there was something likely to be more effective than prayer
> around, like a long pole and a big rock nearby, say. :-) As I said, you
> don't have to be a theist to be irrational. Panic is actually a survival
> trait, for one thing. ("Nothing reasonable is going to save me. Hence, I
> will try something unreasonable, and I can't lose.")

Or just try to lift the car. Can't remember the name for it, but there
is a "known" biological mechanism in the body that allows for massive
increases in short term adrenalin production, and the release of
chemicals into the muscles, which are using under stress to increase the
physical output of the muscles. Heck, they even had something one one of
the new Science Fiction shows about it, where people where "doping"
athletes with a virus that contained code to "hyper-manufacture" the
chemical in muscle tissue, which would have made their muscles function
at several times normal capacity, only they screwed up, and it got into
cell walls, where it instead produced "toxic" results. The inability to
"look up" how someone can, naturally, through a known mechanism, gain a
temporary boost in strength, sufficient to lift a car, is **never** a
justification for believing that magic pixies dusted someone with pixie
powder, or any other absurd "supernatural" explanations.

It just shows the same laziness expressed already, in presuming that
they "know" what atheists are all like, based on past misunderstanding,
or prior prejudice, and thus refusing to find out if that perception is
accurate for all of them, let alone "any" of them. Then again, we have
seen it already. The "no true Scotsman" BS. If an atheist isn't like
what I think and atheist should be like, then he/she can't be an
atheist, but must be some sort of theist, even if they "insists" they
are actually an atheist. Same thing here, just with ignorance added in:
"I can't imagine, and don't know, the explanation for how someone could
be temporarily that strong, therefor its impossible for them to be, and
therefor the only explanation is god intervening. Why should I have to
check my facts of do research to "find out" if I am right?"

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {