POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just a passing thought on religion : Re: Just a passing thought on religion Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:23:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just a passing thought on religion
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 16 Jan 2009 21:29:21
Message: <49714281$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> On 16-Jan-09 6:29, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Darren New wrote:
>>>
>>> I disagree that spirituality without a personal sky daddy is
>>> necessarily better than a spirituality with a personal sky daddy.
>>>
>> Depends, I suppose, on your definition of "better". Some people seem
>> to be virtually "incapable" of functioning as rational human beings
>> without  a god. Frankly, some of those people scare the hell out of
>> me, since I have either seen them in moments when they questioned it,
>> or have been told by them what they "imagine" they could do, if they
>> suddenly found they didn't have a god looking over them. For those
>> people.. having such a "spirituality" that is derived from the magic
>> sky faerie, is better then without it.
>>
>> Then there are the others, who use belief in the forgiveness, mandates
>> from, communication with, and self selected quote mining of his
>> supposed words, to justify doing all the things that the former group
>> would do, but **as a result** of having the belief. That category
>> would be better off if they had to deal with the cold hard truth that
>> there isn't anything out their that cares about every tiny little
>> thing they do, and they bloody well better start being nice to real
>> people on earth.
>>
>> That the majority fall some place between these two, with occasional,
>> and limited, wobbles in one or the other direction, based on their pet
>> peeves, doesn't at all, in my mind, suggest that the first group might
>> have been better off if introduced to moral thinking, instead of fear
>> based self control, and the later to the concept of humility, without,
>> in either case, resorting to what has, in one fashion or another,
>> helped manufacture their rather dangerous mental instabilities in the
>> first place.
>>
>> For both sets, a spirituality that sees the world for what it is, and
>> find awe in that, is far superior than one that sees it as all
>> corrupt, or all made for their own purposes, with only an imaginary
>> friend there to tell them "how" to use it, or what things to avoid doing.
>>
>> Note, the "spirituality" of those in the middle, while they often walk
>> a bit close to both lines at times, has "far" more in common with the
>> naturalist/humanist spirituality they deny believing in, than the
>> deity based one. So.. it might be argued that, if you examine
>> religious spirituality, in its purist and untainted form, it has
>> serious problems. ;)
>>
> I think you are missing at least one other 'pole' i.e. those that think
> they have a purpose in life. I have met a fairly large group of
> religious people that feel responsible for their neighbours and the
> earth in general. That is not because there is a God that is going to
> count every action when they die and will punish them if the score is
> negative. They really do have an internal motivation to do this. I also
> know a couple of atheists with the same drive, in fact almost the only
> [...]

Actually, no, I didn't leave those people out. That is what "in between,
which has more to do with humanist/naturalist" means. Such people invent
there own "purpose" to one degree or another, and tend to see part of
their reason for being on this world one of making it better for
everyone else. The clear difference is the disconnect that ends up
leading some, as you point out, into thinking that promoting religion,
and all too often "inflexible" religion on people is the best means to
that goal. Some choose to just fight with words, some fight with
actions, some a bit of both, but, in the end, you can be standing side
by side with someone and 100% agree with them that "better education"
will improve the world, for example, and disagree completely on whether
or not a new church or a new play ground would be "better" for the local
children. The ones in the middle disagree on what some of us consider to
be important and serious details, but "in general" we tend to agree more
than 90% of the time, as long as religion isn't added to the equation,
on everything else.

And, I do not at all think that the first two groups in my analysis do
religion any injustice, or, sadly, religious people, any more than they
do themselves. As Madison once put it, "Experience witnesseth that
eccelsiastical establishments, instead of maintaining the purity and
efficacy of Religion, have had a contrary operation. During almost
fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on
trial. What have been its fruits? More or less in all places, pride and
indolence in the Clergy, ignorance and servility in the laity, in both,
superstition, bigotry and persecution."

This was recognized in his time, and yet, it "still" comes as some sort
of horrifying shock to people of faith 200 years later, when ever
someone points out that it is still, all too often, true, whenever any
significant numbers of people become members of any single denomination,
or even locally, in small ones. The only thing that differs in
magnitude. A small church has not, in most cases, sufficient numbers,
loud enough voices, or obnoxious enough prejudices, to greatly upset
more than those within their own reach, with a few exceptions, such as
the so called "Catholic League", and its incredibly inflated claims of
actual membership (by my estimate, even without donations of any kind,
he would have to have received about $3 from 'every' member he claims to
have, to match the amount of money he took in last year. This is rather
odd, given that he has taken in millions in donations.. So, either he is
lying about the donations, or he is lying about how many "paying"
members he has). Large organizations, on the other hand, have there
fingers so deep in everything, its often hard to tell where those
fingers are, until someone admits to having followed the advise of, or
professes great admirations for, some mega-televangelist or
super-church, and they try to make "everything" happen the way they want.

I am, frankly, rather happy that the vast majority, by nature of their
"faith", opt not to apply themselves to real methods of making such
things happen, or we would be overrun already, but that the vast
majority apply themselves to the laughable method of "praying" that it
will happen, or that some tiny number of loud mouths, who push the
agendas, will manage to transfix and baffle intelligent people long
enough to have their goals come to pass, instead of laughing in their
faces, or telling them to get lost.

But, seriously. Most people are not a problem, even if they are
believers. Enough of their world is "still" grounded in the real concern
that they have to "earn" money, instead of praying for it, and a myriad
of other inconvenient material complications, that they are unwilling to
dive into the shallow end of the pool, even "when" their church leaders
insist on continually repainting the sign to say, "Depth = infinite".
The real problem is those in the other categories, and the frustrating
tendency of too many in the middle of siding with someone because they
put a cross on their website, instead of the new "scarlet A", that some
atheists are beginning to use (or anything else suggesting they don't
believe in the "magic").

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {