POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just a passing thought on religion : Re: Just a passing thought on religion Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:20:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just a passing thought on religion
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Jan 2009 20:14:20
Message: <497130ec@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga wrote:
> A little evolution fact:
> You probably know this but I wanted yo share it with you.

Thank you.

> I recently(a few weeks ago) learned that we are in fact evolved monkeys

Technically, more like monkeys (apes, actually) and humans came from the
same parent species, but I know what you mean.

> and there is now genetic prove: 2 chromosomes has joined and get
> identified with what ends, aside from that the rest of our chromosomes
> are identical to the monkeys'.

Close enough. Not identical, but a human man has more genes in common with a
monkey male than with a human female, due to the Y chromosome. It's pretty
darn close.

> Interesting how we evolved, and saying we don't is being biased
> blindsided toward a religion, there is a ton of documentary videos on TV
> I've seen (and I'm sure is only a small number) where there is more than
> just probable cause of evolution from one spices into another, in some
> cases not definitive evidence in others not enough but you feel there
> must be some kind of logical connection, because Nature simply works
> that way: Biology in bio-/chemistry, chemistry in atomic physics, so
> evolution is a fact of the universe, fascinating...

Yep. For a long time, I thought that the stuff about evolution was "iffy",
poorly argued, etc.  When I learned what some of the actual evidence is,
like what you're saying there, rather than the "just so" stories that often
get made up about evolution, it becomes much more convincing.

The whole archive of the whole mess is at talkorigins.org.  It used to be a
news group, until the web killed newsgroups. Most any argument you can
imagine that religion puts forward to discredit evolution is in there.

Now they've just recently made an RNA in the laboratory that will replicate
itself indefinitely.
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2009-01/sri-ssd010909.php
So they're working on disproving the whole "maybe evolution, but you need
God to create life in the first place" argument.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?