POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just a passing thought on religion : Re: Just a passing thought on religion Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:21:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just a passing thought on religion
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Jan 2009 20:08:10
Message: <49712f7a$1@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga wrote:
> nor denied, and as I write before, this probably will never be proved or
> discarded.

I think it has already been proved.

> I just google this for you, I hadn't even read them, forgot
> to say that.

None of them said what you think they said.

> That said, I believe that even can do supernatural achievements on
> extreme situations,

I don't think you know what the word "supernatural" means, either. :-)

> Think about one of those extreme
> situations I described... you wouldn't hold to any peace of belief/faith
> you can grasp?

Uh, no. I'd look for a solution that's actually likely to work.

If you got in a situation, would you call out to Thor to grant you the
Strength of his Mighty Hammer?  Would you cry out for Captain Kirk to beam
up the car that has your loved one pinned?  When you understand why you
wouldn't do either of those, you'll understand why even in an emergency I
wouldn't call out to JHVH for help, or whichever one it is you're currently
worshiping.

> I imagine the mother saying to God: "OK God, you better
> give me a hand here because I'm going to rescue mu child or die
> trying...".

I'm not sure why you think an atheist wouldn't just start after the
"because" in that sentence.

> no room for rationality, just pure love for my child., but that's me...

Your tone makes it sound like "an atheist wouldn't even try" or something. I
think an atheist would also most likely try to lift the car, unless there
was something likely to be more effective than prayer around, like a long
pole and a big rock nearby, say. :-) As I said, you don't have to be a
theist to be irrational. Panic is actually a survival trait, for one thing.
("Nothing reasonable is going to save me. Hence, I will try something
unreasonable, and I can't lose.")

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?