POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just a passing thought on religion : Re: Just a passing thought on religion Server Time
10 Oct 2024 08:21:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just a passing thought on religion
From: andrel
Date: 16 Jan 2009 14:54:42
Message: <4970E668.7040908@hotmail.com>
On 16-Jan-09 19:02, Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> I am sorry, but I think I know my friends better than you do.
>
> Fair enough. I was referring to the people around here, actually, not
> your friends in particular; I phrased that part poorly.

I know, but it is one of those things that we better settle on the
record. You never know who is reading along.

> I don't really mind if people believe in their gods or not. It's when
> they use physical coercion to attempt to convince me their god is right
> that it ticks me off, or that somehow my life would be better in some
> ill-defined way if I believed in their god (even tho they have no idea
> how good or bad my life is, nor can they describe their god beyond vague
> handwaving).

I don't know if it is where I live or who my friends and acquaintances
are but in my experience the group that tries to express their believe
by living as an example of what faith can do to a person is so large
that you can not neglect them. The group that you refer to is more
visible as a group, but I are less likely to meet them as they tend to
stick together. The group I mean is not so recognizable as they are
friendly people and you have to know them better to understand what rôle
faith plays in how they interact with other people. Sometimes it may
turn out that that faith happens to be atheism, but we were not talking
about those.

All in all I think that your opinion about religious people is too much
influenced by the bad and very visible examples. The situation in the
states may indeed be such that this is more or less understandable.
Don't forget, however, that this is an international group and
reiterating what is wrong with your sort of religious people may not be
understood if you live in another culture. At least I don't recognize
your generalization of 'believers'.