POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just a passing thought on religion : Re: Just a passing thought on religion Server Time
10 Oct 2024 08:21:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just a passing thought on religion
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 16 Jan 2009 00:42:56
Message: <49701e60$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Because, you know, the God that recommends murdering loving gay people
> and punishes people and animals forever for things *our* secular justice
> system says they're incompetent to be punished for is so compassionate.

Reminds me of something someone else said in reference to the whole ID
thing. Some of them have figured out that they can't bully a god into
the thing if that god "created" everything as is. Either that, of they
keep missing each other memos. Some of them, on a site called 'Uncommon
Descent' recently, in the midst of banning posters and deleting comments
that told them they where wrong, and why, wrote about an article that
suggested that "Species have the 'latent potential' for more than what
it currently possible, and thus things like increases in oxygen and
result in those latent potentials being expressed." This is simply
saying that, if a species "could be" 10 feet tall, but it is only 5 feet
tall, more oxygen, which would help them metabolize food more
efficiently, thus allowing them to get to 10 feet. This is a huge
"Duh!", in some respects, since you can see body size differences in
people, do to "nothing" more than if they are living where they have
abundant food, as apposed to where they have little. UD interpreted this
as "front loading". I.e., genes that where "preset" to activate, to
produce some species later on. Same bunch also insist that God shows up
to "tweak" things, all the time.

The question posed was, "What kind of incompetent, supposedly
omni-potent, omni-present, and all loving god **can't** set the whole
thing up to run without him, but has to show up like a software
engineer, looking for bugs, to 'tweak' thinks, as they go wrong?"

Or, as someone else put it:

Omni-present, Omni-potent, and Omni-benevolent. Pick two!

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {