POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just a passing thought on religion : Re: Just a passing thought on religion Server Time
10 Oct 2024 08:20:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just a passing thought on religion
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 16 Jan 2009 00:29:41
Message: <49701b45$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> So, yes, there is a "value" that come with it, which you don't have
>> without it.
>
> I disagree that spirituality without a personal sky daddy is necessarily
> better than a spirituality with a personal sky daddy.

Depends, I suppose, on your definition of "better". Some people seem to
be virtually "incapable" of functioning as rational human beings without
  a god. Frankly, some of those people scare the hell out of me, since I
have either seen them in moments when they questioned it, or have been
told by them what they "imagine" they could do, if they suddenly found
they didn't have a god looking over them. For those people.. having such
a "spirituality" that is derived from the magic sky faerie, is better
then without it.

Then there are the others, who use belief in the forgiveness, mandates
from, communication with, and self selected quote mining of his supposed
words, to justify doing all the things that the former group would do,
but **as a result** of having the belief. That category would be better
off if they had to deal with the cold hard truth that there isn't
anything out their that cares about every tiny little thing they do, and
they bloody well better start being nice to real people on earth.

That the majority fall some place between these two, with occasional,
and limited, wobbles in one or the other direction, based on their pet
peeves, doesn't at all, in my mind, suggest that the first group might
have been better off if introduced to moral thinking, instead of fear
based self control, and the later to the concept of humility, without,
in either case, resorting to what has, in one fashion or another, helped
manufacture their rather dangerous mental instabilities in the first place.

For both sets, a spirituality that sees the world for what it is, and
find awe in that, is far superior than one that sees it as all corrupt,
or all made for their own purposes, with only an imaginary friend there
to tell them "how" to use it, or what things to avoid doing.

Note, the "spirituality" of those in the middle, while they often walk a
bit close to both lines at times, has "far" more in common with the
naturalist/humanist spirituality they deny believing in, than the deity
based one. So.. it might be argued that, if you examine religious
spirituality, in its purist and untainted form, it has serious problems. ;)

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {