POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Noobulation! : Re: FATALITY! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:18:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FATALITY!
From: Invisible
Date: 15 Jan 2009 07:02:25
Message: <496f25d1$1@news.povray.org>
>> Every term my grades got lower and lower. It was just a matter of time
>> before I started failing modules right, left and center. Fortunately the
>> course finished shortly before I arrived at that stage.
>
> But you passed and got a 2:1 which is good so I don't believe you. What you said
> is probably true insofar as could have got a first.

Question: How rare is it to get a first?

I was under the impression that that's extremely rare, but that's only
based on hear-say.

> *Some* employers seem to care about project management skills far more than
> technical ability but not all.

Heh. I wish I could find an employer somewhere who actually cared about
my technical skills. In fact, I thought I *had*... but apparently not. :-(

>> Yeah, well, employers want finished items. They aren't impressed if you
>> don't finish a project because you "got bored of it".
>
> True, so stop reading comics online and spending hours playing games. Finish
> something.

I've tried to do that a couple of times. But... no finished product
here, eh? :-/

>> People here keep trying to tell me I'm an excellent writing and I should
>> go into technical writing and all this kind of thing.
>
> I've not read any of your technical writing only your posts here and I can't
> comment about that.

Well, Darren and Andrel seem to think I have excellent skills in this
direction... but as I say, nobody at uni was impressed.

> People don't *delight* in pointing out that you can't spell, they are doing it
> to help. I can't spell for toffee (I used to get the belt at school every week
> for my spelling) so I almost always use a spell checker, for everything even
> this. Appearances are important.

It just seems that every time I post some long and wordy post about
something, Warp replies with a 1-line reply saying "you spelt that
wrong". When I've just spent ages writing something, a meta-comment
about something that is both obvious and irrelevant isn't what I'm
really seeking.

>>> If you are nobody then why does everyone here spend their time with you?
>> I'm really not sure sometimes. Maybe because I'm amusing or something?
>
> Yes you are amusing but in a good way. You are liked here and would be liked
> elsewhere if you got the chance to start afresh.

Well, if I ever get the chance to do that, maybe we'll see...

> If I had a cure for depression I would be rich. Unfortunately I haven't. My
> makeup is different so I can only sympathise and try to give advice and
> encouragement.
> Look, I've met you in the flesh and you are normal from the outside. Try to put
> on a front and it will become second nature (I think and hope).

I'm just really frustrated and upset right now. Hopefully I'll get over
it later.

My point is that knowing, rationally, that something is true doesn't
necessarily help you *believe* it. Ever tried rock climbing? Sure, I
*know* that nothing bad can possibly happen to me... but I'm still
pretty terrified, all the same! o_O