POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I think this pretty much sums up what I dislike about most Java libraries : Re: I think this pretty much sums up what I dislike about most Java libraries Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:16:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I think this pretty much sums up what I dislike about most Java libraries
From: Warp
Date: 15 Jan 2009 04:17:57
Message: <496eff44@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> FactoryFactory??

> http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?joel.3.219431.12

  Overengineering (or in the case of software, overdesigning) really can be
a real problem.

  I have encountered this problem myself in a project I was working.
One guy was really too infatuated with object-oriented design, and went
really overboard with it. Almost *everything* had to be its own separate
class, in a really complex inheritance hierarchy, with several layers of
abstractions, one on top of another. One program he made consisted of over
20 source code files and was rather long and really complicated. The
program source code was rather hard to understand.

  Years later I had to reimplement that same functionality from scratch
(basically it was a simple modification of a similar tool). My version
of the same program consisted of 3 source code files, and the program
was 10 times faster with all inputs I tried. The OOD was, IMO, still
pretty good, but much more understandable because of a way more simplistic
approach.

--
                                                          - Warp