POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : solar system orrery ver1 : Re: solar system orrery ver1 Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:48:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: solar system orrery ver1
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 14 Jan 2009 14:11:18
Message: <496e38d6@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.496dc9fd6fd6ebf6bdc576310@news.povray.org...
> "Bob Hughes" <omniverse charter net> wrote:
>> Look at http://planetpixelemporium.com/planets.html for full-sized planet
>> image maps. I hadn't intended to zoom the view into planet surfaces but
>> you
>> might. In fact, asteroid Ceres uses a different Pluto rendition (and
>> Pluto
>> is Jupiter's moon Ganymede!).
>
> Not surprisingly, NASA has a lot of image maps as well; best thing: As a
> government organization, they make them available for free to everyone and
> any
> use.
>
> They also provide a lot of stuff post-processed "ready for use" these
> days - and
> they have the highest resolution you can get to date.
>
> It may take a few googling attempts though to get to the right places -
> nasa.gov
> is quite a big site :).

Been through many a NASA web page, yep. Tried looking there just now and
didn't have much luck finding all I would want to immediately. ;^)
Came across the web page
http://www.carinasoft.com/support/links08.html
of several places to obtain solar system image maps, one such being the
aforementioned, and I immediately recognized the familiar names David Seal,
Bjorn Jonsson, as well as Hastings-Trew's I had told of (simulated Sun map
obviously from there).

Was going through my orrery file again and found numerous errors, mainly
where the Earth atmosphere got thrown in to the mix (scales wrong, metric is
same as Earth surface!). Obviously I couldn't keep order in the chaos while
I made changes. ha ha!
No idea if the whole thing functions as intended, leaving that up to others
to discover for themselves. Guess I should have added a disclaimer about it
not being for scientific purposes.

Bob