POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Slightly worrying : Slightly worrying Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:18:24 EDT (-0400)
  Slightly worrying
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Jan 2009 06:24:40
Message: <496dcb78$1@news.povray.org>
OK, so today I sat down to decommission one of our servers. Oh what fun!
It turns out that the server fails a memory check, the CD-ROM drive is
marginal, and ALL THREE of the drives in the RAID array have bad blocks
at various places. The hot spare doesn't even spin up properly.

But... but... but this server was *working* in a production environment
just a few weeks ago! And it's a nearly brand-new Dell PowerEdge! How
did it get this busted so far?! o_O

Damn... I was going to take that thing home with me. (Since HQ IT thinks
it's worthless.) But I won't bother if it doesn't even work properly.

Still, the other server I'm decommissioning still works great.
Unfortunately, it's a dual Pentium-III 1.0 GHz. (According to PassMark,
just about any cheap-ass PC you can buy today will outperform that.) Oh
well! Maybe the RAID controller and the 6 SCSI HDs might be useful?
Though I'm not sure what for...