POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I think this pretty much sums up what I dislike about most Java libraries : Re: I think this pretty much sums up what I dislike about most Javalibraries Server Time
9 Oct 2024 14:37:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I think this pretty much sums up what I dislike about most Javalibraries
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Jan 2009 12:05:05
Message: <496cc9c1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> I thought the whole point of IP is that it's one protocol to run over
> the top of every possible transport?

It works poorly for that, as IP works poorly over lots of WAN technologies.

> What *I* love about Java so much is the way especially the AWT has
> apparently multiple methods which seem to do the same thing, but don't.
> For example, an applet has the start() and init() methods. But they're
> different. But nobody really knows why.

AWT is a mess, but they promised to never deprecate it. Nobody wanted to
learn this whole thing and "write once run once" only to have the next
generation not run it. Did they actually manage to keep it running usably?
Or did it get entirely replaced by Swing?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?