POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quite rare : Re: AWS Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:20:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: AWS
From: Invisible
Date: 13 Jan 2009 04:36:20
Message: <496c6094$1@news.povray.org>
>> Looking at the protocol-level implementation, I'm guessing you can't
>> include newline characters in an object key. ;-)
>
> You might be able to if you encode them appropriately, as %0A for example.

Ah. So the keys are URL-encoded?

>> Yeah, you can do it with offline processing. But I found that when I
>> did it that way, I almost *never* posted any blog entries. It was just
>> too much effort to add a source file, run the processing tool, run a
>> seperate tool that zips up the changed files, log in to my host,
>> upload the zip file, unzip it over the WWWroot folder...
>
> Insufficient automation. It should be one click.

How do you log into a website and click some JavaScript-powered buttons
from a script?

Besides, even then, I can only update the blog from the one PC that has
the source code and all the automation scripts installed.

>> Currently I have a real blog interface. I can update my blog from any
>> PC, anywhere on the Internet, without any special tools. The only
>> problem is that it's 100% non-compliant as far as standards go. Oh,
>> and buggy as hell! (It keeps "eating" my formatting instructions...
>> and the CSS eats bullets.)
>
> ... and that it requires you to run a real server. ;-)

Well, no, I got it for free as part of my web hosting package. But if I
wanted to change to a different blog engine (say, one that doesn't SUCK
as much), I'd have to pay £15/month for a virtual server instead. (And
configure Apache by hand - which is pretty hard.)

>> Er, yeah. This is the problem part. It is almost impossible to get any
>> SMTP server on earth to accept inbound SMTP messages. I've tried.
>
> Um, no, it's not *that* hard, assuming you're subscribed to the ISP.

Well, I've never got it to work, let's put it that way.

>> How about S3 though? From the looks of it, I can set up my own AWS
>> account, and then I can upload content. But what if you have a team of
>> devs producing content that you want to upload? Do you really have to
>> give them all the root password to do that?
>
> You can give them write permission to the bucket on a user-by-user
> basis. They'll still need some sort of AWS key, tho, yes.

Right. So there *is* a capability to set up multiple user accounts in
AWS then? (Which is what I was trying to get at.)

>> Oh *God*, I've lost track of which transfers are free and which ones
>> get charged at both friggin' ends. E.g., traffic from SQS to EC2 US is
>> free, but from SQS to EC2 EU is chargable one-way.
>
> Probably because SQS is hosted in the USA. :-)

Well yeah, but you see my point. Figuring out what is and isn't free is
a complex minefield. The pricing structure is so complicated...