POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quite rare : Re: AWS Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:18:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: AWS
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Jan 2009 17:23:03
Message: <496bc2c7$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Looking at the protocol-level implementation, I'm guessing you can't
> include newline characters in an object key. ;-)

You might be able to if you encode them appropriately, as %0A for example.

> Yeah, you can do it with offline processing. But I found that when I did
> it that way, I almost *never* posted any blog entries. It was just too
> much effort to add a source file, run the processing tool, run a
> seperate tool that zips up the changed files, log in to my host, upload
> the zip file, unzip it over the WWWroot folder...

Insufficient automation. It should be one click.

> Currently I have a real blog interface. I can update my blog from any
> PC, anywhere on the Internet, without any special tools. The only
> problem is that it's 100% non-compliant as far as standards go. Oh, and
> buggy as hell! (It keeps "eating" my formatting instructions... and the
> CSS eats bullets.)

... and that it requires you to run a real server. ;-)

> Er, yeah. This is the problem part. It is almost impossible to get any
> SMTP server on earth to accept inbound SMTP messages. I've tried.

Um, no, it's not *that* hard, assuming you're subscribed to the ISP.

> How about S3 though? From the looks of it, I can set up my own AWS
> account, and then I can upload content. But what if you have a team of
> devs producing content that you want to upload? Do you really have to
> give them all the root password to do that?

You can give them write permission to the bucket on a user-by-user basis.
They'll still need some sort of AWS key, tho, yes.

> Oh *God*, I've lost track of which transfers are free and which ones get
> charged at both friggin' ends. E.g., traffic from SQS to EC2 US is free,
> but from SQS to EC2 EU is chargable one-way.

Probably because SQS is hosted in the USA. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?