POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quite rare : Re: AWS Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:19:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: AWS
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 12 Jan 2009 16:25:54
Message: <496bb562@news.povray.org>
>> If you want to use it just for yourself, sure. If you want it to
>> provide a service to other people... well, no way to know when those
>> service requests will arrive, eh?
>
> Sure. Then it's doing something.

Perhaps you're missing my point. I get charged for running the server
24/7, when it only gets maybe 3 hits per month. That's really expensive, no?

>>> If you want to serve static web pages, use S3, not EC2.
>>
>> S3 only stores data. There's no way of accessing it from the outside
>> world again. (As far as I can tell.)
>
> It serves any file there via HTTP, with a URL like
> http://s3.amazon.com/mybucket/myfile.zip
> or some such.

Interesting. It appears from the documentation that the contents of a
bucket cannot be hierachical...

>> I'd actually like to run custom CGI. But paying 72$/month for a server
>> that gets maybe 4 hits per month seems... excessive.
>
> There is that.  What CGI is this?

I have a blog, but I'm not very happy with it. I'd like to write my own
blog engine and run that. (In Haskell, naturally.)

>> Three hours does not concern me. I have an animation running that's
>> likely to take about a week to render.
>
> That's a pretty good use of it.

But would it be cheaper to buy a new Intel Core i7 and run it on that?
(Once I've bought it, I can use it endlessly for nothing.)

>> Looks like you'd need to script it to run POV-Ray, run VirtualDub,
>> somehow copy the data to S3, and then automatically shut down ASAP
>> before you go bankrupt!
>
> Not sure what the virtualdub part involves

Transforming 6,000 frames into a single AVI so I can download it.

> but you can log in remotely, you know.

What, and be charged for 7 hours of computer time when the instance has
finished rendering and is just sitting there waiting for me to tell it
to transcode the video? :-P

> Posting the stuff up to S3 isn't hard either. I can give you a
> script that pushes a directory up to S3 if you want, too.

I guess the fun part is if an instance "fails" during a render.
Apparently it can do that. No refunds...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/