POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quite rare : Re: AWS Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:19:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: AWS
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Jan 2009 15:32:53
Message: <496ba8f5$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Right. So if you turn on an instance and it doesn't do anything, it will
> still cost you hundreds of dollars per month?

72 dollars a month, roughly.  Why would you turn it on and not have it do
something?  The point of being able to turn it on and off is to run it only
when you have something for it to do.

If you want to serve static web pages, use S3, not EC2.

> Faster than my current dual-core AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+ 2.2 GHz with
> brass knobs on.

No. Probably slower than that at the low end, potentially faster than that
at the high end. ("Low end" being the $0.10/hour and high end being
$0.80/hour.)

On the other hand, you can turn it on, run it for three hours to do the
render, and turn it off again.

> The advantage of a virtual machine, of course, is that it can run
> overnight.

Yep. And turn off when it's done.  Just remember to save the output.

I have code for managing all this I haven't packaged up elegantly, but
that's what it's intended for.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?