POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : sun/earth/moon/day/night : Re: sun/earth/moon/day/night Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:20:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sun/earth/moon/day/night
From: pan
Date: 12 Jan 2009 12:52:22
Message: <496b8356@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote in message
news:496b0649$1@news.povray.org...

> "Jellby" <me### [at] privacynet> schreef in bericht
> news:c5e### [at] badulaqueunexes...
>> Has anyone seen a picture (ideally a photograph) of how a lunar eclipse
>> looks from the Moon (from there, it would be a solar eclipse). In total
>> lunar eclipses the Moon usually gets a reddish tint, apparently from
>> sunset-like light all around the Earth (as seen from the Moon), I'd like to
>> see this.
>>

> There is a subject for an awesome POV-Ray scene.... As said already by others,
> I don't think there are any photographs available.

Actually, Surveyor II took a picture of a solar eclipse from the moon.
Images were retrieved by Apollo 12 crew who also snapped a nice picture
in space (not on the moon's surface).

There is a page with good math data at
http://star-www.st-and.ac.uk/~awc/eclipse.html
(part 2).

Theory says the earth will be quite a sight as earthshine will center an
image of a planet surrounded by all the world's sunsets at the same time.