POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Amazon jungle : Re: The Amazon jungle Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:19:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Amazon jungle
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Jan 2009 20:47:19
Message: <496aa127@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> (Most especially, "Amazon Mechanical Turk". WTF?)

The only WTF part of this for me is that people will actually work for a
penny a click or a nickel a result.  But without telling us how much you
actually looked into it (like whether you read Amazon's pages, etc) it's
hard to help explain.

 > I'm not really seeing what SQS would be useful for.

Think of a renderfarm for POV renders. How do you manage machines vs
renders?  (The main problem with SQS in that sense is that you can't easily
set the time-out for retries.)

Lots of this stuff is used by Amazon internally. I suspect order fulfillment
is using SQS internally, and putting products up on the store (like, writing
descriptions or entering metadata) is using something like Turk.

 > And I'm also wondering just how much all this stuff actually *costs*...

CPU hours are a bit expensive, but comparable to renting a shared server
somewhere else (except you get a "dedicated" server). The rest is really
cheap.  Hit aws.amazon.com for details.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?