POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Metallic Objects with Green Screen Background : Re: Metallic Objects with Green Screen Background Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:18:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Metallic Objects with Green Screen Background
From: Chris B
Date: 11 Jan 2009 16:25:41
Message: <496a63d5$1@news.povray.org>
"james lake" <gum### [at] sprintmailcom> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I am creating an animation with a metallic object which will be used later
> with
> other (live action) film footage.  I've created the object and have the
> background set to "background { color Green }" and found this works well
> with
> my video editing software.
>
> However, when I run the animation I notice the metallic surface of the
> object
> picks up the Greenish color of the background.  To prevent this, I chose
> these
> settings:
>   ... snip ...
>
> But I am not happy with the result as it looks plain and gray.  What
> settings
> should I use to simulate an aluminum, metallic (only somewhat shiny)
> surface?

Any reflective settings are generally going to pick up the background color.
You may therefore wish to consider the following alternatives in some sort
of combination (some of which I notice are covered by clipka and Ricky. They
obviously type quicker than I do :o) ):

Ideally load frames of your live-action film footage as a background so that
you get credible reflections in your metallic object.
Otherwise load a still image with the same sort of colors and features to
get reasonable but fake reflections.

To do this you can add a plane using an image_map as the pigment and you can
use the 'no_image' object modifier on the plane so that you can make this
'false' background image disappear except for through reflections.

Use a transparent background (rgbt 1) and an output file format that
supports a transparency channel (an alpha channel) so that you don't need to
eliminate the background as a post-processing step. I believe that Targa and
PNG formats support an alpha channel. You can set the file type as an ini
file option (Output_File_Type) or using the +Fxn command-line option. To
activate the alpha channel (which is off by default) you'll also need to set
Output_Alpha to 'on' in the ini file (or use the +UA command-line option).

Regards,
Chris B.