POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : sun/earth/moon/day/night : Re: sun/earth/moon/day/night Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:21:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sun/earth/moon/day/night
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 11 Jan 2009 11:41:54
Message: <496a2152$1@news.povray.org>
Jellby wrote:

> Has anyone seen a picture (ideally a photograph) of how a lunar eclipse
> looks from the Moon (from there, it would be a solar eclipse).

I think the last camera on the moon itself was actually
with Lunochod 2 spending 5 months there in 1973, and the
images doesn't seem to be easily available (not sure if
they even had color).

So any photo would probably be taken from orbit by more
recent missions such as SMART-1, Kaguya or Chang'e-1. Being
solar powered and all that they may well have been in power
saving mode during lunar eclipes though ;)

By the way, googling for Lunochod, I arrived
at the following russian moon page:

   http://selena.sai.msu.ru/Home/Moon.htm

It contains an animation which looks distinctly POV-ish ;)

   http://selena.sai.msu.ru/Home/svechka.gif