POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: Beta 23 benchmarked on a wide variety of chips : Re: Beta 23 benchmarked on a wide variety of chips Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:17:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta 23 benchmarked on a wide variety of chips
From: andrel
Date: 14 Jan 2009 18:10:26
Message: <496E7148.4020301@hotmail.com>
On 14-Jan-09 23:51, Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>> and if you check you will find the wikipedia
>> article simply includes some paragraphs from the papers.
>
> Hmm is that legal? What are the usual terms of use for academic papers?

Usually the copyright is owned by the publisher of the journal the paper
is published in. It used to be so that we were not even allowed to
include text or illustrations from our own work in another context
without explicit permission of the publisher. I think we are still not
allowed to publish pdf versions of our papers on our own website.

One of the reasons why things are a bit changing is that it used to be
so that the publisher did a final correction, made nice illustrations
and did the final layout. Nowadays almost all they do is collect the
word or TeX file and the bitmap and vector illustrations and create the
physical issue. All other work is done by the authors and the editorial
board, which is a group of volunteers from the field. Doing 2% of the
work and getting 100% of the benefit does not seem fair to everyone.
Hence all sort of initiatives to come to a paperless journal. That in
itself is influencing the paper business.