POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test.binaries : Radiosity testing : Radiosity testing Server Time
28 Apr 2024 00:29:29 EDT (-0400)
  Radiosity testing
From: Mike Hough
Date: 9 Jan 2009 09:40:05
Message: <496761c5@news.povray.org>
Did a little testing of the radiosity in beta 30. On simple scenes it is
considerably faster but when I start to adjust the settings it slows
considerably. Here is one example. It can be a little hard to compare
because 3.7 influences the brightness of images so much, but if you adjust
the gamma these images look quite similiar in terms of the quality of the
solution. I might give 3.6 a slight edge in that department. Scenes were
rendered at 640x480, No AA on an Athlon X2 3.21ghz with 2GB RAM.
Unfortunately the test scene is a little over 2mb, otherwise I would upload
it as well.

render times
3.7 - 13m 2s
3.6 - 9m 18s

global_settings {
     radiosity {
      count 100
      nearest_count 10
       error_bound 0.02
      low_error_factor 0.2
      minimum_reuse 0.015
      adc_bailout 0.01/2
      recursion_limit 3
      gray_threshold 0.0
      brightness 2
      normal on
      }
    #end
    max_trace_level 256
    ambient_light 0
}

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'VW_3.7radtest_scene.jpg' (175 KB) Download 'VW_3.6radtest_scene.jpg' (198 KB)

Preview of image 'VW_3.7radtest_scene.jpg'
VW_3.7radtest_scene.jpg

Preview of image 'VW_3.6radtest_scene.jpg'
VW_3.6radtest_scene.jpg