POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coin game : Re: Coin game Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:22:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coin game
From: Warp
Date: 9 Jan 2009 04:52:40
Message: <49671e67@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> I understand the Mersenne Twister is designed specifically for these
> kinds of simulations - but I don't know how widely available it is...

  The ISAAC RNG is faster than MT. I don't know about quality, but it should
be very competitive at least.

> PS. One time I wrote my own PRNG just to generate some random data for
> testing purposes. I don't know why I didn't use the PRNG library, but I
> should have; on investigation, it turns out that my own PRNG almost
> always has a period of 2. (!!) Oops...

  One of the basic things taught at school is that you should never attempt
to make your own PRNG if you don't have extensive experience about the
subject, if you want any kind of quality to it.

  Another thing with the exact same rule is a hashing function.

--
                                                          - Warp