POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coin game : Re: Coin game Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:20:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coin game
From: Invisible
Date: 9 Jan 2009 04:15:49
Message: <496715c5$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   The rand() function in most compilers is of extremely poor quality and
> should never be used for this type of application. You should always use
> a very high-quality RNG with a humongous period.
>
>   I used (my C++ version of) the ISAAC RNG, which should be of fairly high
> quality.

I understand the Mersenne Twister is designed specifically for these
kinds of simulations - but I don't know how widely available it is...

PS. One time I wrote my own PRNG just to generate some random data for
testing purposes. I don't know why I didn't use the PRNG library, but I
should have; on investigation, it turns out that my own PRNG almost
always has a period of 2. (!!) Oops...