POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Censorship and the Right to Not Be Offended : Re: Censorship and the Right to Not Be Offended Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:21:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Censorship and the Right to Not Be Offended
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 8 Jan 2009 22:38:41
Message: <4966c6c1$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> nemesis wrote:
>> Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
>>> nemesis wrote:
>>> Actually, isn't the entire Jewish faith based on Abraham overcoming a
>>> giant
>>> obstacle put in front of him by God? Namely being asked to sacrifice
>>> his son?
>>>
>>> And who was it that hardened Pharoh's heart again?
>>
>> Sometimes you can't ask your employees to do the job for you, you have
>> to do it
>> yourself. ;)
>
> I'm confused. Satan is God's employee?  I'm not sure I've heard that
> before.

In point of fact yes. In the original OT, Satan was simply the angel
employed to do sick and evil things to people, as a test of their faith.
There is however a few "other" middle eastern religions, like
Zoroastrianism (no it has nothing to do with Zoro), and others, in which
there was an "anti-god" of sorts, who was in constant battle against the
powers of good. In one of those, Yahweh, which is considered a synonym
to the Christian god, for some reason, is actually one of three sons of
the one real god. All three messed up, and had their kingdoms taken
away, apparently Yahweh for the reason that he was a war monger. In
another, one named Ahura-Mazda is said to be fighting an eternal
conflict with  Ahriman, who is out to devastate the universe by filling
it with evil. These all co-existed in the same region, at the same time,
and borrowed from each other, which is why the Jewish based faith has
tales taken from earlier faiths, like those of the Sumerian people,
rewritten to "fit" their mythology. Its also how, when Rome suddenly
needed an excuse to convince "everyone" to follow their new Christian
religion, they arranged for Satan to invade heaven, got thrown out, and
take Hades over from the Greek Gods, renaming it Hell, then slapped a
bit of Mazda vs. Ahriman on top, to make it look like this was all going
on from the moment the serpent supposedly sold Eve on some apple.

It only looks like a consistent fable, in which Satan was always God's
adversary, if literally the "only" religious history you ever read is
the one that claims it. And even then, it contradicts itself, by having
God, in cases like Job, sending Satan around to piss in people's cereal,
to see if they will continue believing in him, despite his being a total
bastard.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {