POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : That was close... : Re: That was close... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:38:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: That was close...
From: Mike Hough
Date: 8 Jan 2009 19:45:09
Message: <49669e15$1@news.povray.org>
I have found that hard drives are not as reliable as they used to be.
Several years ago I lost my main drive and hadn't made a backup for several
months. It was the main reason I stopped doing graphics for several years.
Since then I have always had several copies of my data and always have a
RAID 1 setup. Hard drives are so big these days and relatively inexpensive
there really is no reason not to. On paper the chance of losing both disks
is 0.25%, although realistically it is probably a little higher. It has been
a nice setup, since I have had drives fail over the years and have been able
to just replace the drive and mirror without any major downtime or hassle. I
make a point to keep any non-essentials like programs and the OS on a
different disk since these are most likely to frag a disk(yes, I use
Windows). I guess that sounds a little paranoid...

Mike