POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Three Vista annoyances so far : Re: Three Vista annoyances so far Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:21:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Three Vista annoyances so far
From: Darren New
Date: 8 Jan 2009 13:41:23
Message: <496648d3$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> Five: Blocking IO.
>
> Why the he** should everything on my computer freeze up when a scratch is
> encountered on a CD?

I think it's only explorer that locks up. Other programs keep running, as
long as they're not accessing it.  Local disks always cause those sorts of
lock-ups, because there's no good way to say "open it, but don't wait for it
to open." It has been a problem in most OSes, including UNIX from at least
V7 on (they used to distinguish "fast open" from "slow open" devices), and
including locking up (under WIndows at least) while waiting for a disk to
spin up from power save, too, for example. I thought Vista was a bit better
at this, in that you can now specifically cancel out o something like that
and get control back. You've canceled of course, but Vista lets programs
abort I/O that they didn't used to be able to abort. (That was one of the
explicit improvements. Maybe it only applies to network opens, tho?)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?