POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Acer Aspire 5000 : Re: Acer Aspire 5000 Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:20:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Acer Aspire 5000
From: Darren New
Date: 8 Jan 2009 12:43:57
Message: <49663b5d$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> I notice when I boot up my Vista box, that every fan runs at full blast
> until some point during Vista boot,

Most times the BIOS (or whatever firmware is on the gfx card) will set the
fans to full speed on reset, just for safety.

> all I can hear then is just occasional blips of
> hard drive head movement

What confuses me is I can turn on a hard drive that has no activity on it,
and it'll sit there making little chuckling noises, seeking around and such.
Like, even a USB drive not plugged into a USB cable will click and seek and
such.  I'm assuming the firmware is testing the drive or something, looking
for sectors to spare out, but it' kind of weird.

At least if you let Vista sit for a couple hours, all the background crap
finishes up and the drive stops working.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?