POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Poor Man's Fluid Simulation : Re: Poor Man's Fluid Simulation Server Time
29 May 2024 06:16:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Poor Man's Fluid Simulation
From: William Tracy
Date: 8 Jan 2009 12:10:54
Message: <4966339e$1@news.povray.org>
triple_r wrote:
> This is the basis for how a lot of free surface flows are simulated.  I don't
> know the details, but it seems like the coefficient of restitution should
> definitely be zero (so it doesn't bounce), and surface tension should manifest
> itself as a small attractive force between particles (so droplets don't go
> flying off without a decent push).

Hmm. There are a few mechsim parameters I could play with ... :-)

The biggest fundamental problem with this approach is that Povray blob
objects do not conserve mass. When they approach each other, they become
much bigger than when they separate.

> A few more particles and it could actually
> look convincing.  I'm not sure how mechsim handles collisions or forces, but
> this could get pretty expensive if you have to do it through functions or loops
> in POV-Ray.

Mechsim is a patch to Povray; AFAIK the physics simulation is done in C
code. That said, this animation did take a bit over four hours to render.

Unfortunately, I have another project (not Povray related) that's using
up my CPU cycles right now, so I may not get to play with this much
more. If I did have more time, I would try to find a way to turn it into
an entry for the "relativity" round of the TC-RTC.

--
William Tracy
afi### [at] gmailcom -- wtr### [at] calpolyedu

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right
to say it.
     -- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, frequently mis-attributed to Voltaire