POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Acer Aspire 5000 : Re: Acer Aspire 5000 Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:21:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Acer Aspire 5000
From: Invisible
Date: 8 Jan 2009 07:43:47
Message: <4965f503$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>>> What software was running then while you were waiting?
>>
>> The BIOS configuration interface.
>
> So your conclusion is that the BIOS software controls the fan speed, but
> for some reason SUSE manages to disable this fan speed control function
> of the BIOS?  Or that Windows has its own fan speed control software?

My conclusion is that Windows (and SUSE when it's finished installing)
controls the fan speed, but the SUSE installation program doesn't.

>> Interesting. All the fans in my PC just run constantly anyway.
>
> There should be an option in the BIOS to control the CPU fan speed based
> on temperature, it can be disguised under a number of weird names (I
> think mine is "AI Fan Control" or something stupid like that).

Possibly I need to install AMD's Cool'n'Quiet driver or something, IDK.

(The idea of a "processor driver" is highly amusing to me. Of course,
it's not actually a driver for the *processor* at all. It's a driver for
some of the processor's special features, like frequency scaling, fan
speeds, power management, etc.)

> As for the GPU fan (which is far louder on my machine than the CPU fan),
> it seems this is built into the OS/driver.  Actually I don't remember XP
> ever reducing the speed, so maybe it's something new for Vista?

I don't know. But if I ever get the cash for a more powerful 3D card,
presumably it'll be far louder. ;-)

>> The four harddrives are just about inaudible.
>
> So are mine when the GPU fan is on!

I'm just glad there's an indicator light on the front! Unfortunately,
only one, not one for each HD.

It's a pitty nobody has ever had the forethought to put a network
activity indicator on the front of the case. (Dell came close - their
OptiPlex cases have a link light.)