POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Acer Aspire 5000 : Re: Acer Aspire 5000 Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:18:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Acer Aspire 5000
From: scott
Date: 8 Jan 2009 07:29:29
Message: <4965f1a9$1@news.povray.org>
>> What software was running then while you were waiting?
>
> The BIOS configuration interface.

So your conclusion is that the BIOS software controls the fan speed, but for
some reason SUSE manages to disable this fan speed control function of the
BIOS?  Or that Windows has its own fan speed control software?

>> I notice when I boot up my Vista box, that every fan runs at full blast
>> until some point during Vista boot, whereby first the CPU fan virtually
>> turns off, then a few seconds after the desktop appears the GPU fan
>> virtually turns off, all I can hear then is just occasional blips of hard
>> drive head movement - until I fire up a 3D game, then all hell breaks
>> loose again :-)
>
> Interesting. All the fans in my PC just run constantly anyway.

There should be an option in the BIOS to control the CPU fan speed based on
temperature, it can be disguised under a number of weird names (I think mine
is "AI Fan Control" or something stupid like that).

As for the GPU fan (which is far louder on my machine than the CPU fan), it
seems this is built into the OS/driver.  Actually I don't remember XP ever
reducing the speed, so maybe it's something new for Vista?

> The four harddrives are just about inaudible.

So are mine when the GPU fan is on!